TRAINING OUTLINE & COURSE DESCRIPTION
This Shiva Yoga - 200hr - Shiva Vinyasa - Level 1 - Teacher Training Program is the ideal program for the serious practitioner of yoga and essential for those who want to begin the path to becoming a certified Shiva Yoga teacher and a registered yoga teacher through the Yoga Alliance at the 200hr level.
Students will begin each day with a Shiva Power® class or a Shiva Vinyasa® class, and finish each day with a Shiva Meditation® class or Personal Sadhana meditation practice. The rest of the day will be divided between practice teach- ing, yoga theory, learning anatomy and physiology, studying yoga philosophy, learning about yoga history and the Shiva Yoga® lineage, practical workshops, and studying alignment and asana breakdown.
Shiva Yoga draws inspiration from Dharma Yoga, Vinyasa Krama, Vinyasa Flow, Mysore Style Ashtanga Yoga, Iyengar Yoga, Yoga Therapy Rx and Yoga Tune Up.
Founder of this program, Garth Hewitt, draws on his extensive knowledge and practice of yoga with his teacher’s: Sri Dharma Mittra, Srivatsa Ramaswami, Annie Carpenter, the Patthabi Jois family, Dr. Larry Payne, Dr. Christopher Chapple and Jill Miller, as well as over 15 years of teaching experience.
THE SHIVA YOGA – 200HR – SHIVA VINYASA - LEVEL 1 - TEACHER TRAINING PROGRAM INTRODUCES STUDENTS TO:
· Yoga Lineage
· Modern Styles of Yoga
· The History of Yoga
· Yoga As a Practice
· Yoga As a System of Philosophy
· Yoga Anatomy
· Applied Anatomy
· Asana Breakdown
· Yoga Etiquette
· Practice Guidelines
· Teaching Guidelines
· Sequencing a Yoga Class
· Using Props & Modifications and Adjustments
· Pre & Post Natal Yoga
· The Business of Teaching Yoga
· Samkhya Yoga Philosophy
· Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras
· The 8 Limbs of Yoga
· Tantra Yoga Philosophy
· The Hatha Yoga Pradipika
· Cleansing & Purifying Techniques
· Bandha, Mudra and the Chakras
· Anatomy of Breathing
· Self Practice
· Personal Sadhana
· Practice Teaching
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS 200HR SHIVA VINYASA TRAINING PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- 200 contact hours with program founder and senior teacher, Garth Hewitt
- Opening & closing ceremonies and a light ritual
- A special fire cleansing ritual
- Daily personal sadhana with pranayama, meditation, mudras and bandhas
- 2hr master class practices
- 40+ hrs of asana breakdown
- Specific asana workshops covering: sun salutations 1 & 2, foundational poses, arm balances, head balance poses and the shoulder stand sequence
- A special partner yoga workshop
- 60+ hrs of meditation, pranayama, sequencing, practice guidelines, teaching guidelines, yoga as a practice, the history of yoga, yoga as a system of philosophy, Samkhya yoga, The yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Tantra yoga, pre & post natal yoga, props & modifications and the business of teaching yoga
- 40+ hrs of practice teaching
The course will take place in Wenling City in China at Haipoo Yoga & Pilates.
The course will be 6 days a week with one day off. (Day off Sunday, subject to change)
If we have enough Spanish speakers practitioners the translator will be present throughout the training as well.
8-12 / 2 hour lunch break/ 2-6
We are able to help organize accommodation for people traveling from outside for additional cost.
TUITION: (Approx. Prices as Tuition will be paid in RMB)
$2300 early bird registration discount if registered by February 15th, 2019
$2600 early registration discount if registered by April 15th,2019
$2900 full tuition by July 15th,2019
Testimonials of previous trainings:
“A life changing experience! So grateful for the wisdom shared and the new friendships formed.” — Kristin Hughes
“Super amazing jam-packed course. So in depth and detailed. Best way to describe this course is to experience it yourself. Loved it despite the difficulty. No fire - no freedom!” — Andrew
Essay Questions for Teacher Trainees:
1. What is Yoga? In your own words please tell us what the word yoga means to you.
2. How has practicing yoga affected you and your relationship to the world?
3. What was your first yoga class or experience?
4. Please tell us a little more about your current practice. How long have you been practicing? How many times a week do you practice or come to class? Who are your teachers and who has influenced you in your practice?
5. Please describe your life history and your profession.
6. What do you hope to get out of this 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Intensive and why have you chosen this program?
7. What do you want to change in your life?
*Please answer the following essay questions and submit them prior to the start of the program or bring with you on the first day your program begins.
Required Reading Materials:
Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar
Asanas – 608 Yoga Poses by Sri Dharma Mittra
Hatha Yoga Pradipika – by Swami Muktibhodananda
Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – Translation by Swami Satchidananda
The Key Muscles of Yoga – by Ray Long
*Training Manual – Pick Up In Person at First Class
*Asana Manual – Pick Up In Person at First Class
*Please visit the recommended reading page at www.garthhewittyoga.com for links to purchase these books online through Amazon.com or ask if they are available at your studio for purchase or will be provided by the studio for your program.
**Please bring all required reading materials with you to class unless otherwise instructed.
***Please start to look over the required reading materials as soon as possible. You have plenty of time. There will be time during the training and between modules to read and study these materials. Don’t be overwhelmed. Just begin as soon as you can.
Required Course Materials:
Yoga Mat (www.manduka.com)
YogaSphere Yogi Pro Kit (www.mama-kuka.com)
Reach Yoga Strap 8’ or 10’ (www.manduka.com)
Recycled Foam Block (www.manduka.com)
2x Deluxe Mexican Yoga Blanket – Solid with Thunderbird (www.barefootyoga.com)
Stainless Steel Tongue Scraper (drtungs.com)
Ceramic Neti Pot (himalayaninstitute.org)
2x Unscented Candles
Personal Item with Sentimental Value
****Most of the above course materials will be provided by the studio that is hosting your program. You may need to purchase your own tongue scraper and neti pot. If these are not available for purchase through your studio, please order them directly through the website listed above or on amazon.com. Please bring your 2 candles and personal item with you on the first day of the program.